Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cake doing the Jim Carroll Band. Maybe.

Compare and contrast:

Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket," 2001
I want a girl with a mind like a diamond
I want a girl who knows what's best
I want a girl with shoes that cut
And eyes that burn like cigarettes
I want a girl with the right allocations
Who's fast and thorough and sharp as a tack
She's playing with her jewelry, she's putting up her hair
She's touring the facility and picking up slack
with

the Jim Carroll Band's "I Want The Angel," 1980
I want the angel that knows the sky
She got virtue, she got the parallel light in her eye
I want the angel that's partly lame
She filters clarity from her desperate shame
I want the angel that knows rejection
Who's like a whore in love with her own reflection
I want the angel whose touch don't miss
When the blood comes through the dropper like a thick red kiss
Tribute? Deliberate inversion? Total coincidence? Discuss.

(This classroom exercise brought to you by Flashback Radio!)

1 comment:

fueltank.at.gmail said...

Or Herman Brood...

To be a blind boy
such a fine thing
all the women gettin' faceless
to be a blind man
such a fine thing
when all the music's gettin' spaceless


& when she comes
she comes to stay
don't let ambition lead her away
& when she comes
her touch don't miss
the blood comes down the dropper
like a big red kiss


from The Brood released in 1984...